Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme also called as Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is a small deposit scheme of the Government of India meant exclusively for a girl child. In this post we also share details and Sukanya samriddhi yojana calculator which you can use.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana was launched as a part of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Campaign. The scheme is meant to meet the education and marriage expenses of a girl child.
India is a country with a very large population. Here having a daughter is not considered bliss by many people.
The parents worry about the expenditure on their education and marriage, feel that the girl child is a burden on them. But to correct this wrong thinking the government has started a few new projects, which will help in educating the girl child and save her.
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme will make the girls self-sufficient. It is very important in today’s world for every individual to be able to make an earning for a living. This scheme helps the girl child to be prepared for her future. There is a link for Sukanya samriddhi yojana calculator which you can use to calculate the benefit.
Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana is one of the many initiatives taken by the government . This scheme has been introduced by the prime minister of India Shri Narendra Modi Ji.
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme is a part of the Beti Bachao Beti Padhao campaign. The funds deposited under this scheme takes care of the expenses of marriage and education of the girl child.
A small deposit scheme for girls was launched on 22 January 2015 in Panipat Haryana. The state of Haryana was chosen for this purpose as the sex ratio In Haryana is very low for females.
Sukanya Samriddhi Scheme – General Introduction
Under this scheme the money deposited will get returns of 8.4% and the returns earned on this account are tax-free under section 80 C.
This account can be opened in any post office or bank in the country. The account can be opened as soon as the daughter is born till she turns ten.
A minimum deposit requirement is rupees 250 only to keep the account active. Each year a minimum of rupees 250 has to be deposited and a maximum of rupees 1.5 lakhs is allowed.
The account shall stay active for 21 years after opening or her marriage after she turns 18 years old.
How did Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana start?
Beti Bachao Beti Padhao Yojana is an awareness campaign started by the government under the efforts to increase the efficiency of welfare services targeted to help the girl child.
The scheme has been launched and run by the Ministry of Human Resources Development, Ministry of women and Child Welfare, and Ministry of health and family welfare.
They are all working together to bring back balance and improve the sex ratio in the whole country.
Initially, the target areas were only states of Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Punjab, Delhi, and Bihar with an investment of 100 crores.
A national Executive committee was formed across the whole country. They were responsible for the smooth running of all the schemes to save the girl child and educate her.
Why was Sukanya Samriddhi scheme needed?
The declining number of girl child in India has been a cause of worry for all. The government began to take steps to tackle the problem at a national level.
They began at the grass-root level. According to the data of census in the year, 2001 the child sex ratio of years 0 to 6 showed that there are only 927 girls per 1000 boys.
This figure further declined to 918 girls only per 1000 boys in the year 2011. In a report published by UNICEF in 2012, India ranked 41 among the 195 countries.
This is not just a shameful situation but also a worrying one, hence it demands action at all levels.
Aims of the Sukanya Samriddhi scheme and the steps taken
So, the main aims described for the project were as follows:
- Prevention of gender-biased sex selective elimination of the fetus.
- Ensuring the complete protection and nurtured survival of the girl child.
- To ensure the education and self-sufficiency of the girl child.
The strategies used to promote and make Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao yojana a success
- Promotion of education among girls and create the equal value of the girl child by the means of proper implementation of sustaining social mobilization and communication campaigns for all levels of society.
- Focusing and improving the declining CSR/SRB utilizing good governance.
- Targeted focus on the gender-critical states and districts while looking at the local needs. Intensive and engaging activities with the communities to face the challenge of gender stereotypes and societal norms.
- Adoption of an innovative way to intervene at the district level according to the local needs and sensitivity.
- Making the services of various schemes responsive to the problems of gender and child’s rights.
Sukanya samriddhi account – details
- Parents of the girl child or her legal guardians can open a Sukanya Samriddhi account for the girl child.
- The age of the girl child should be less than 10 years when the account is being opened and can be operative until she is 21 years of age.
- The first investment to open such an account is just rupees 250. After that, each year minimum of rupees 250 has to be deposited and a maximum of rupees 1 lakh and 50 thousand can be invested in this account.
- Only one such account can be opened in the name of the girl child under the Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
- A birth certificate along with documents will be needed to open the account of the girl child.
Sukanya samriddhi yojana calculator
Please find the links of calculators available which you can use for checking the amount after investment.
- For Sukanya samriddhi yojana calculator on Economic times -> click here .
- Sukanya Samriddhi yojana calculator on HDFC bank -> click here
- You can also check it on groww.in
- Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana calculator on bankbaazar
sukanya samriddhi yojana post office
You can also open sukanya samriddhi yojana post office account. You can contact your nearest post office for details. You can also check the link below on india post website.
Other Important Links
|Read more at GOI website||click here|
|SBI sukanya samriddhi yojana||click here|
|HDFC sukanya samriddhi yojana||click here|
|ICICI sukanya samriddhi yojana||click here|
Even as the world is becoming more and more advanced in the field of technology and science, society is fighting evils like gender bias and girl fetus killing.
So, to overcome this problem the counseling of all the members of society is a must. This can not be done by a single person or an organization.
So, the government has taken a step forward and come up with schemes such as Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana to improve the sex ratio. The number of girls as compared to men is less in some states in India.
The girls are considered as a burden due to the expense incurred for their education and marriage while they will live the rest of their lives in the other family.
So, some narrow-minded people find it as a curse to have a daughter. The government has introduced this scheme to make the girls educated and self-sufficient. Hence the base pillar of the family will be firm and hold the family strong.
You may also like: Kisan credit card scheme