Hey , are you stuck in your current role and do not see much growth? Are you looking to increase you job market value? Or are you just wanting to learn something new. Welcome to this post on “How to become a data and analytics professional“. You guide to become a successful D&A guy!
What is Data and Analytics?
Made up of 2 words, Data and Analytics, this is self explanatory. In today world there is humongous amount of data which is being created and this data is useless if we are not able t drive any insights out of it and there analytics comes in.
Analytics is all about analyzing this data and deriving some value out of it.
It has been there for long. I would say it existed even before computers came into existence. There were businesses which existed much before and they used to maintain ledgers of their transacitons and were able to understand the data in the ledger to know how business is doing. So they were able to do some sort of analytics on it.
Same is true for today. Today we have big big companies, research organizations, governments collecting , producing and processing large amount of data and pulling value out of this data is putting analytics on top of this data.
So this is a very exciting field to say and it can be a very good career move for you if you are looking to enter this field.
So what kind of jobs are available in the fields of Data & Analytics?
Any data analytics project requires below type of work
- Requirements Gathering : Mostly business analyst kind of role. But such a person is more knowledgeable in the area of data analytics and data engineering and hence able to communicate well with business stakeholders to understand the solution and requirement.
- Solution design : A more experienced role which is more are a architect role and takes up the design of the solution. May be technical design or functional design, but the person should know about all the tool and technologies in the area of data and analytics.
- Data preparation / Data Ingestion : This role involves preparing data and ingesting it to the systems like Hadoop or any other big data environment. A good SQL skills are needed.
- Developers: Are the ones who are experienced or knowledgeable in the area of programming languages like R, Python etc. Are able to create the logic and expose it to the data presentation professionals to display the results.
- Data presentation: These are the people who take the data and developed rules / logic to display it on various available tools like Tableau, Power BI, Qlik View etc.
Sounds Interesting. So what should I do to become a data and analytics professional?
Good, so you have decided to be one. But how?
The first thing to do is to understand which of the above roles interests you. Then you can approach it in below few ways
- Self learning : There are lots of resources available on internet on this. You can learn on youtube, coursera, Edx, Udemy etc. I will provide some links to few good courses later. You can do these studies with out spending much or for free.
- Assisted learning: Buy courses from websites like edureka and simplilearn. Little bit costly, but are helpful.
- Training Institutes: Check training institutes in your area and find out if they provide trainings in technologies / tools you are interested in. like Python, R etc. These can be costly as these are like personalized coaching.
- Graduate / Post Graduate programs from good colleges / institutes: There are many colleges offering certificate course, diploma, PG diploma etc which are a good bet. But these courses are very costly. Such courses from IIM , IIT’s may go in Lakhs.
So what are you waiting for? Take a jump in Analytics to give your career a boost.. Below are few courses you can check out.
Certificate courses in Data Analytics
Data Analytics with Python from Simplilearn
Data Analytics courses from coursera.
predictive analytics using Python from EDX
PG Diploma Courses
PG program in Big Data and Engineering from Upgrad
PG Certificate Program in Big Data & Analytics from upgrad
Professional certificate from IIM Kozikode
Above are few quicks link to help you understand what kind of studies are possible in this area. You can do certificate courses, you can do PG diploma courses.
Or you can make well use of Udemy, Coursera, EDX or youtube to do your learning at your own pace.
But all these can push you in the field of Data and Analytics which can be a good and fulfilling career!
If you need more information , you can write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your friend , Sanjeev